Help Prevent Downtime and Reduce Costs
Data centers continue to be vital to daily operations. The demand for information is high, and businesses thrive on data and internet. Data center cooling is essential and prevents costly downtime and premature equipment failures. Measuring and monitoring data center airflow and temperature is also essential to ensure cooling remains at optimal levels and keep operational costs low through energy efficiency (Note: ASHRAE Standard 90.4 establishes minimum energy efficiency requirements of data centers).
°C Grate Airflow Balancing and Efficiency Tool for Data Centers
The °C Grate™ from Degree Controls is a portable airflow measurement tool specifically designed to quickly test flow rates through floor tiles in data centers, office spaces, and laboratory environments. It is a multipoint, sensor array system for planar air velocity and temperature measurement and proves to be a useful tool:
- Use the information that °C Grate collects to match airflow required for the IT load in a row, zone, or contained environment.
- Strategically balance the underfloor pressure and volume in a data center using information gathered with °C Grate.
- Find out where airflow is coming from in a data center, and quantify the distribution with °C Grate.
- Work with °C Grate to find out how to get enough air to a particular space in a data center, and determine the correct amount of perforated and solid tiles for best efficiency. Achieve desired flow rates.
- Airflow = Energy, determine operational costs with data from the °C Grate.
- Eliminate cooling over-supply, and reduce air conditioning power consumption using °C Grate to measure volumetric flow.
Understanding data center airflow helps with answering questions and making good choices. In one case, a client wanted to add more perforated tiles to their data center to improve underfloor air distribution, however, after using °C Grate, they found that they could have better efficiency by replacing perforated tiles with solid tiles to build more pressure under the floor for air delivery.
Zero-Impedance Measurement Architecture
In a network of raised floor tiles, restricting the flow of any one tile, like a balometer or capture hood will do, forces the airflow through neighboring tiles, thus creating erroneous measurements. The °C Grate has been designed to overcome this issue to provide accurate airflow measurements and does not impart any back pressure to a floor tile during testing.
VIDEO: Airflow Sensors
Airflow Products for Data Centers
°C Grid is a comprehensive, multi-scalar solution versatile enough for any application where airflow and thermal conditions must be measured, mapped or managed. With our °C Grid Sensor Array, airflow, ambient temperatures, and humidity can be measured and recorded at multiple points in real-time.
With the DegreeC portfolio of sanitary, FDA-GRAS fog generators and accessories, certifiers, pharmacy managers, engineers, and HVAC technicians can detect leaks, test HEPA filters, and monitor turbulence in ventilation systems with greater safety and precision than toxic alternatives such as smoke sticks.
DegreeC manufactures both instrumentation-class airflow sensors and sensors embedded in some of the world's most demanding products. These airflow monitoring solutions are for electronics, laboratory, building, and industrial safety applications to bring air precisely where it's needed. We also develop custom fan and heater controllers for OEM applications.
Having joined DegreeC in 2009, Jan has over a decade of experience consulting professionals in a wide range of industries on methods for using airflow sensors and instrumentation to collect data for testing and analysis.